Secret Site Map
Saturday, August 30, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

BuggyBeds Options · View
DOMINICK MALVESTUTO
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:20:49 PM
Groups: Member

I saw this product on the TV show Shark Tank. I can't imagine this actually works but I'm sure they will sell.

http://buggybeds.com
Thomas Kalcas
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:04:24 PM

DOMINICK MALVESTUTO wrote:
I saw this product on the TV show Shark Tank. I can't imagine this actually works but I'm sure they will sell.

http://buggybeds.com

When you consider the fact that bed bugs are attracted for the most part to CO2 then heat and various lurring agent as evidenced by independent study http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/bedbugs/pdf/BedBugTrap.pdf you will realize that the product you mentioned is more for entertainment than bed bug detection or control.
CO2 and heat in real world is provided free by our customers ;)

Bed bugs are my specialty and without pitfall traps ( climbup Protectors ) and box spring and mattress encasements ( in that order ) I would not even attempt a bed bug job.

Thomas
Dylan Morrison
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:28:50 AM

Well said Thomas.

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
Pest Control Charlotte NC
DOMINICK MALVESTUTO
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:45:58 AM

Thomas,

What pesticides do you recommend for bedbugs?
Brandon Bradshaw
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:34:19 PM

Thomas Kalcas wrote:

Bed bugs are my specialty and without pitfall traps ( climbup Protectors ) and box spring and mattress encasements ( in that order ) I would not even attempt a bed bug job.

Thomas

We do quite a bit of bed bug work these days, and we've really researched products and procedures. I would say that 75% of the time we get rid of bed bugs in one treatment and our treatments take about an hour to do. We never use climb-up interceptors and rarely encasements. Our secrets: steam, Transport Mikron, Tempo 1%, Sterifab and phantom. The most important of those being steam. We use Wagner steamers that you can buy on Amazon.com for $100.

Brandon Bradshaw

Seattle, WA
Thomas Kalcas
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:59:54 PM

Hi Brandon,

If that is what works for you and you feel comfortable offering a guarantee on the job that is all that counts.

I was speaking from my perspective. I also use dry steam from a bit higher end steamer ( continuous steam from two chamber steamer ) on items like sofas etc. that encasement can not be used on. An average three bedroom and a living room with bagging of what needs to be laundered/heat dried, bags with a fumigant strips ( nuvon ), all labeled sprayed on active harborage areas, dusting of receptacles and walls switches within 4 feet of the bed or so, dusting of carpet edges, placement of interceptors, installation of mattress and box spring encasements takes on average a two and a half hours for two man crew. I would say a good hour of it is just devoted to detailed inspection and rest of it is the treatment. For small to medium size infestations 1 or 2 treatments is fine.
On large infestations I would say 20% of time I still have some loose ends to tie up.

Thomas
Thomas Kalcas
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:15:55 PM

Dominic,

I use almost exclusively Essentria IC3 for contact kill.
For the most part I will not soak the area ( just the light spray ). If I can not see what is inside the crevice or a screw hole etc. but I see fecal stains etc. I will use Bedlum in those areas just in case eggs are there. I often will wait until it dries a bit and go over the area with Tempo ( it supposed to be 'OK for moist areas as well ). If the infestation is light and customer sensitive I will use Essentria D dust instead of Tempo. Tempo works much quicker on bed bugs than any other dust I have used ( Drion, D Earth or Delta ). Items that can not be laundered or heat dried but area suspect, I bag and use a piece of a nouvan strip.
Other than that stream, vacuum and climbup protectors which work great as a monitoring device as well ( keeps me honest ). For application of dust I use Exacticide.

Thomas
Thomas Kalcas
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:20:49 PM

Dominis,

A small correction: instead of Essentria D dust I use Eco Exempt D dust. I think the formulation is pretty close on both.

Thomas
Thomas Kalcas
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012 9:34:49 PM

Brandon Bradshaw wrote:
Thomas Kalcas wrote:

Thomas

We do quite a bit of bed bug work these days, and we've really researched products and procedures. I would say that 75% of the time we get rid of bed bugs in one treatment and our treatments take about an hour to do. We never use climb-up interceptors and rarely encasements. Our secrets: steam, Transport Mikron, Tempo 1%, Sterifab and phantom. The most important of those being steam. We use Wagner steamers that you can buy on Amazon.com for $100.

How many people on your bed bug team? I have two guys moving really moving and even a small 2 bedroom apartment takes at least two hours on the first treatment ... soup to nuts .. everything treated, bagged, labeled etc
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012 4:26:21 PM

From what I have seen, these Buggy beds monitors are to be put between the mattress and box springs, so if bed bugs are hiding, you should find them on the monitor. Passive, not active monitoring.
Miles
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:38:38 PM

Seems like a useful product, but it depends how effective it is, as compared to the techniques used nowadays. Bed bugs are really intolerable and requires special chemicals to get rid of so a better alternative is always welcome in this industry as well.

IPM Services Toronto