Secret Site Map
Saturday, July 26, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

Non-pyrethroid Options · View
DOMINICK MALVESTUTO
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:06:32 PM
Groups: Member

I'm looking for a Non-Pyrethroid for general pest control that works good and is inexpensive. Is there such a thing?
Dylan Morrison
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:01:17 AM

Try Arilon. I like it

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
Pest Control Charlotte NC
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:30:04 PM

Not anymore.
Lance Griggs
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 8:24:19 PM

Well since the EPA did it's number on Organophosates,we don't really have many options. I have really been turning to neonicotinoids (nicotinoid insecticides) like imidicloprid, dinotefuran.

I do like the non-repellant pyrethroids like Bifentrhin, the new formulation of deltamethrin (Suspend Polyzone), I will be switching to etofenprox (Zenprox) for the winter. It's a thin concentrate and I had great results with it last year, although it's a high usuage rate.
Dylan Morrison
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 9:30:06 PM

Bifenthrin is not a non-repellent and I'm not aware of any pyrethroids that are NR. It's confusing because it is ONE of the actives in the non-repellent Transport Mikron and GHP. Based on my experience, Transport does not seem to work well as a non-repellent because of the Bifen. For proof, try to bait and switch ants with it. The ants never return to the bait unlike when Arilon, Termidor or Premise is used. And Lance, what do you use to apply suspend poly outdoors? It seems like anything other than a B&G and crack crevice would be really expensive at the exterior rate.

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
Lance Griggs
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 11:23:49 PM

Bifenthrin most certainly IS a non-repellent pyrethroid. At least the products that are in a suspension like Bifen and Talstar. To go further, if it's not then it has terrible repellent action. I use the generic Bifen and Talstar. I will say the granular bifenthrin products do have some repellency, but not the suspended liquids. Btw, I had awful results with Transport. Afa outdoor use of Suspend Polyzone, I use a B&G. Incredible results especially with house spiders, black widows and wolf spiders.
Lance Griggs
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 11:34:10 PM

Fyi here is the product link to Zenprox EC.

http://www.pctonline.com/Zoecon-pestworld2012.aspx?client_id=38979

It's a pyrethroid. In about the third sentence in the link states "non-repellent." It's really effective, but again a high useage rate. And at $40+ per bottle, alot of PMP's won't use it.
DOMINICK MALVESTUTO
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:06:32 PM

I use Masterline(talstar generic) in the winter. It pretty much is usless at temps above 90 degrees.

I'm just looking for alternatives with the new laws.
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:12:51 PM

Eco PCO WP-X or Essentria IC3.
DOMINICK MALVESTUTO
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:09:47 PM

Jerry,

Have you used both of these? I used Eco PCO WP-X 1 time at my own home a few years ago and thought the results were lousy at best. I have no idea about the other though.
Dylan Morrison
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:24:46 PM

Lance Griggs wrote:
Bifenthrin most certainly IS a non-repellent pyrethroid. At least the products that are in a suspension like Bifen and Talstar. To go further, if it's not then it has terrible repellent action. I use the generic Bifen and Talstar. I will say the granular bifenthrin products do have some repellency, but not the suspended liquids. Btw, I had awful results with Transport. Afa outdoor use of Suspend Polyzone, I use a B&G. Incredible results especially with house spiders, black widows and wolf spiders.

Lance, good call on the Zenprox. I have never used it, but after looking into it, you're right. Ethophenrpox is pyrethroid derived and it does claim to be non repellent. This is the first pyrethroid I have ever seen make this claim. If you know more, please let me know.

On the other hand, I can see you're line of thought on bifenthrin being a non repellent, but I still disagree. Although insects may not turn and run from a line of Bifen that has been sprayed, they can certainly begin to detect its presence and learn to avoid it. There is also no horizontal transfer with bifenthrin (that I'm aware of). This also differentiates it from the non-repellents like fipronil, indoxacarb, imadacloprid and acetamiprid. And for what its worth, non-repellents are formulated as WG, WP, SC and EC. I don't think formulation distinguishes non-repellents from repellents.

Dominic, have you tried Arilon yet? I'm really loving it for ants.

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:33:30 AM

DOMINICK MALVESTUTO wrote:
Jerry,

Have you used both of these? I used Eco PCO WP-X 1 time at my own home a few years ago and thought the results were lousy at best. I have no idea about the other though.

I still do use both of these. The WP-X has given me great results on spiders, and the Essentria has fantastic flushing and knockdown. Its not unusual for me to go back 3 months later and find dead insects at customers homes that were not there when I treated last, so I see evidence they are working.
DOMINICK MALVESTUTO
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:54:25 AM

Quote:
I still do use both of these. The WP-X has given me great results on spiders, and the Essentria has fantastic flushing and knockdown. Its not unusual for me to go back 3 months later and find dead insects at customers homes that were not there when I treated last, so I see evidence they are working.

Do you mix them together?
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:17:49 PM

On occasion I have, but usually I use one or the other.
Lance Griggs
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:04:23 PM

Dylan, I see what you are saying but I read (on more than one occasion) on the very pages/articles of PCT magazine where they were touting Bifenthrin as a non-repellent pyrethroid. It shocked me too, but then I realized it made alot of sense since Bifenthrin has always been a poor repellent. Note that the manufacturers and testers didn't make this claim till as of late (the past couple of years) when non-repellents (by class that is) began to really come on the scene and gained popularity.

Afa horizontal effect, I'm with you 100%.

Afa as your last comment about distinguishing formulations ie non-repellents vs repellents...let me clarify. Formulation 'shouldn't' matter, but it does. For example, some of the best knockdown of any granule (yes granule) was a bag of Bifenthrin granules I used to use. I can't remember the brand but within seconds ants were going crazy and it definitely exhibited great repellency action. But spraying the same AI in a SC or MC showed no knockdown or repellency action of any kind. So that is what I meant about different formulations having repellency moreso than others.

Re Arilon..yes love it for ants! Has anyone tried Tandem yet? Really think dual AI's will be the future of chemical use in pest control.