Secret Site Map
Monday, October 20, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

Who here does their own websites? Options · View
Delcon
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:34:56 PM
Groups: Member

I've been working on ours, but I'll admit I am just an amateur. With the amount of money we have been pumping to advertising I'm really hoping to get a little more from natural listings in search engines.

Has anyone paid someone to build their website and regret it? I'm torn on putting any more cash towards it.

Wendell
Delcon Termite and Pest Control Las Vegas
Brandon Bradshaw
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:30:56 PM

My experience with websites is that they can be somewhat easy to build, but there are a lot of things going on in the background that you'll never even think of. If I could go back in time, I would have paid someone to build my website and do it correctly from the start. Every since I hired an SEO guy to take care of my website, the organic listings have moved up tremendously. It's a lot of money, but worth it. My SEO guy actually transferred my website to a WordPress format, and now I can login and make changes anytime, very easily. Just to give you an idea on price, he transfered my website from what I created to WordPress for like $600 and now I pay him $500/month to maintain the website and also work on the SEO part. It's been worth every penny!

Brandon Bradshaw

Seattle, WA
DOMINICK MALVESTUTO
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 6:14:31 PM

Word Press is the way to go. Look up Tyler Moore on YouTube. If someone else is running your site make sure it's registered in your name and you have all pass codes because one day you will take total control or transfer it to another company. I just went through this and it's a pain to switch especially if they don't want to play nice.
Jerry Schappert
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 11:55:54 PM

Tons-o-work..... I run my own blog and it's a constant battle. My son helps out but it's not always convenient for him so I screw things up pretty good on my own...Great advice by Dominick though
MICHAEL CROSE
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:03:06 AM

I now do mine all by myself using Wordpress.

Take a look http://mrbugguy.com/
claythelen
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:53:00 AM

I've been creating my own site since I started my business 7 years ago. Originally, I used Frontpage-worked fairly well for the first five years when I lived and ran my business out of Green Bay, Wisconsin. I sold off my route and moved to Las Vegas, kept my domain and started using Word Press because of customers accessing the site using mobile devices. In Green Bay I was list #1 on most organic results, but since I started a new business it has been rough achieving the same results using the same domain, I'm thinking I should probably move on and find an additional domain to create a new image, while keeping my original domain pest control business website http://www.newpestsolutions.com, the entire time I have been writing my own web and paying roughly 34.00 for webhosting every two years. I can't imagine paying someone $500/month for advertising, I would hope that for the $500/month, you are receiving that amount of work in new customers or your profit isn't covering your loss and you are just throwing money away.

I should also say, I went to school for computer programming back in the day, so I have experience with both bugs.
Thomas Kalcas
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:48:25 PM

If you studied computer programming you should know that web design and SEO have very little to do with true programming. I hold a degree in software engineering and worked in that filed for 8 years. I have done my own web site for few years but , nothing and I mean nothing will produce good results in on line ( organic Google ranking ) over a period of time unless you know SEO and work hard at it or pay someone to do it for you. Not that long ago I was asking Brandon this same questions, I learned the hard way that $500 per month for a very good SEO is not out of question. Last year I spent probably $3500 on SEO and got very little in return. Many, if not most self proclaimed SEO gurus are clue less or primadonas, who talk down at people who are not in the field. If you choose to do your own SEO I will make one recommendation ... video. Lots of it. 2-3 minute clips with good content and decent design that will get people to comment. Google loves video ( it owns utube after all ).

Thomas
Matt
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 5:37:48 PM

We built our own from a template from rapbootstrap. The basic layout was done we just had to make it look like ours. check it out at www.pocomos.net. We are a mobile pest control software company. The getting people to your website is the hardest part. Good luck.
DALE JONES
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:36:17 PM

I did mine and I am not a web genius! But it works for me... www.getmybugs.com

www.getmybugs.com
MICHAEL CROSE
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 11:13:11 AM

Dale, I love your website you did a great job. Your use of video is very smart and your layout is great. But (I frigging hate the "but" part.) be careful. Someone big is going to come out of the woods and eat you ( Or sue your happy ass) for the music on your video. There is lots of royalty free music you can use and life is then simple and stress free and even boring. Much like a Carpenters album.
Miles
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 6:33:02 PM

If you really have a good website with unique and relevant content then optimizing it by yourself for the search engines is possible by applying some simple techniques. In case anyone does not have any idea about such things then it is better to pass the work to SEO for better results.

IPM Services Toronto
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 12:18:58 PM

I am pretty good with websites mostly wordpress, if anyone needs any guidance or help I would be happy to help. free of charge

I also have experience with SEO

Regards