Secret Site Map
Thursday, October 30, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

How to Get More Customers Options · View
cmoreschi
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:50:12 PM
Groups: Member

I wrote a detailed post that should help any new guys out there.

I hope it's helpful to someone.

http://gorilladesk.com/grow-your-service-business/

Pest Control Software by GorillaDesk
Aaron G.
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:57:05 PM

Good Tips! Surprisingly, perhaps through natural instinct, I have already done everything on the list with one exception. I did not use Worpress for my website. I have only been open just shy of 4 months and business is slowly trickling in.... not enough, soon enough for my liking, but baby steps..... I look forward to $100k a year, but at this point would embrace $4k-$5k a month ($48k-$60k/year).
Thanks again for providing outside insight that I am on the right track.

Aaron G.
Owner/Operator
New River Pest Control LLC
Radford, VA

http://www.facebook.com/NewRiverPestControl
www.newriverpest.com
cmoreschi
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:41:49 PM

The issue is most guys don't stay consistent and execute the plan every single day. This will create a compound effect that will start to give you the results you want. You won't see real traction until you have the first year behind you.

cmoreschi
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:08:35 PM

If I had any advice for you Aaron, work on a site redesign for wordpress and start blogging once a week.

Make sure you have calls to action on the site front and center.

RICHARD ALEXANDER
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:50:45 PM

I agree with 11, 12 and 13 only. The rest of that stuff is only silly busy work. Go find your customers. Go meet people and ask for the account. If you sit on your butt and wait for the calls that are too cheap to hire Terminix and Orkin........you will starve.
cmoreschi
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 7:06:45 AM

Where do customers go when they have a pest problem? Straight to the internet. You're silly to ignore the "busy work" of establishing yourself online.

RICHARD ALEXANDER
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 2:15:27 PM

Who chooses whom? Get up, go outside and find the people that you want as customers. Want monthly commercial customers? Go find them. Want quarterly residential customers? Go find them. If we wait around for the phone to ring or the email to ding, there won't be much money for Christmas.

Advertising is lost profit. I repeat: lost profit. It is snake oil. If you don't believe me, then compute your actual cost per phone/email lead. In comparison, it costs literally nothing to make a personal sales call; and the chance of getting a permanent customer is very real.

Customers don't go to the internet. Customers ask family and friends who they like. Shoppers go to the internet looking for a bargain. Shoppers are not loyal.

The only weapon that we little companies have is our personality, know-how, local knowledge and interest in customers as humans. Use it.
Brandon Bradshaw
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 6:54:59 PM

RICHARD ALEXANDER wrote:
Customers don't go to the internet. Customers ask family and friends who they like. Shoppers go to the internet looking for a bargain. Shoppers are not loyal.

Richard,

I'm glad there are still people out there that think like you. It means all that lost business you're missing out on, is coming my way! I make hundreds of thousands of dollars every year from the internet and hardly pay a thing. If you're smart, it's very profitable!
James Harrison
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:17:35 PM

Brandon Bradshaw wrote:
RICHARD ALEXANDER wrote:

Richard,

I'm glad there are still people out there that think like you. It means all that lost business you're missing out on, is coming my way! I make hundreds of thousands of dollars every year from the internet and hardly pay a thing. If you're smart, it's very profitable!

I agree with you Brandon.

http://www.applevalleypest.com/
RICHARD ALEXANDER
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 6:16:33 PM

Brandon - All right, for the sake of argument lets agree that you make hundreds of thousands of dollars from people like me. You have done very well in 4+ years.

What separates you from Eden, Sprague, etc?
Brandon Bradshaw
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 12:39:44 AM

RICHARD ALEXANDER wrote:
Brandon - All right, for the sake of argument lets agree that you make hundreds of thousands of dollars from people like me. You have done very well in 4+ years.

What separates you from Eden, Sprague, etc?

That, my friend, is my secret ;-)

I've been very fortunate in my 4+ years of business. I found some things that work really well. Maybe some of it's luck, but it basically comes down to what people these days do to find consumers. I'm in a very tech-savy area and I use that as a very powerful tool.
Mickey Ferrell
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 8:13:20 PM

I remember being called by a customer right after we launched our company and he said that he chose us in the phone book because we had a small ad and he thought he'd get a family company and a lower price because his money wouldn't go toward big ads. I never made him aware that he had bypassed our full page ad. Silenced
There were many people that said they called because we had a big ad so they figured we were stable and would be around awhile.

Every customer is different so each technique has it's merit.

The internet is a our #1 source of leads followed by referrals in a close 2nd. But that doesn't mean that Richards direct sales approach wont work. For every person who hates being bothered at home by door to door people there is a person who fondly remembers the day when vacuums were sold that way, and are receptive to that message.

Too many business owners get stuck on their perceived notion of what will and wont work, so much so that they are blind to very valid opportunities.
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 8:55:43 PM

Quote:
Too many business owners get stuck on their perceived notion of what will and wont work, so much so that they are blind to very valid opportunities.

So very true.
James Harrison
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:16:35 PM

Mickey Ferrell wrote:
I remember being called by a customer right after we launched our company and he said that he chose us in the phone book because we had a small ad and he thought he'd get a family company and a lower price because his money wouldn't go toward big ads. I never made him aware that he had bypassed our full page ad. Silenced
There were many people that said they called because we had a big ad so they figured we were stable and would be around awhile.

Every customer is different so each technique has it's merit.

The internet is a our #1 source of leads followed by referrals in a close 2nd. But that doesn't mean that Richards direct sales approach wont work. For every person who hates being bothered at home by door to door people there is a person who fondly remembers the day when vacuums were sold that way, and are receptive to that message.

I agree, and I think both are great ways to get business. You can't just stick your nose up to one. I like using both options to get customers.

http://www.applevalleypest.com/
Aaron G.
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 11:57:46 PM

All very good input from various regions. As a new owner/op, I appreciate all of it. Since opening 4 months ago, most of my business has been via web search with a small percentage from in-person networking. Somehow, I've managed to become #2 on a Google search for my direct city and fluctuate for surrounding localities. I won't even have my first phone listing until the new book comes out in Oct.
I started to try door to door / hanging flyers. I feel like a hypocrite going door to door because I hate it when it is done to me and after hanging a few hundred flyers, I have yet to get a call from one, with one exception from a flyer I hung on a grocery store bulletin board.
I know that personally, anytime we need a service provider of any type in my house, we default to Google, but I realize that many will still go to the phone book. I rely heavily on cross-posting on local FB pages. for instance, 3 new customers just by offering a discount to those active on the local animal shelter FB page. I even use my business Facebook page to "like" or post on other local business or gov't Facebook pages just to get visibility. it does work, just not as fast or as high volume as I would like.
for those interested........ I started a U.S. Pest Pro Facebook Group Page for real time interaction... since most of us only check this board periodically.

www.facebook.com/groups/USPestManagementProfessionals

Aaron G.
Owner/Operator
Radford, VA

www.newriverpest.com
RICHARD ALEXANDER
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 4:11:52 PM

Brandon - Thank you for telling me about these days. I didn't know about Yelp and Angie's List. What will they think of next?

Here is what I see from your websites:
Apple Valley / James - Affordable, effective, excellent service, family, job site pics.
New River / Aaron - Honest, local, likes dogs, posts prices.
Eco Pro / Jeffrey - Back in Texas, does cleaning. residential/commercial
Home Pro / Mickey - Decades of experience, can do highly specialized work, tech savvy.
Eco Elite / Brandon - Local, environmental concern, has prices posted.
Eden - Knowledge, local, environmental.
Sprague - Highly advanced, tech savvy, regional.

Did I get the messages right?
Aaron G.
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2013 10:57:16 PM

RICHARD ALEXANDER wrote:
Brandon - Thank you for telling me about these days. I didn't know about Yelp and Angie's List. What will they think of next?

Apple Valley / James - Affordable, effective, excellent service, family, job site pics.
Home Pro / Mickey - Decades of experience, can do highly specialized work, tech savvy.

There is a bit more to it than just Honest and liking dogs. Honest infers that I am going to take the time to do the job right, not rush through to get to the next appointment. My goal is quality and affordability for the average person. I'm there to resolve an issue without price gouging. I offer consumer friendly rates (almost 1/3 cheaper than competition and spend more than twice the time on site).
I do like dogs, but the point is that the first question out of many potential customers mouths... " is what you use safe for my dogs, cats, kids, etc". Being "Pet Friendly" means I am looking out for their best interest of those they care about. I would feel horrible about poisoning a pet. people want to know I care as much as they do about their fur babies.

Aaron G.
Owner/Operator
Radford, VA

www.newriverpest.com
Mickey Ferrell
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:05:25 PM

Whistle
RICHARD ALEXANDER wrote:

Hey, you forgot good looking! Whistle
RICHARD ALEXANDER
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:36:51 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't pick up the pet friendly on my first impression, but it makes good sense to me. Our customers ask about safety all the time. Fur babies is a catchy phrase.

No doubt you're all good looking rascals! and very nice websites, you should be proud.

My impression has been that online marketing was mostly static like yellow pages where you run the ad and then leave it that way. What I'm seeing is that you are quicker on your feet to adapt with customer feedback. How do you contact last year's one time customer?

Thanks for the lesson.

RICHARD ALEXANDER
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:47:34 PM

Aaron - by the way I meant to mention that our return on door flyers is 1 hour = 1 sale. I'm sure we could do better if we knocked on the door but they are just rolled up and put in the door handle for the customer to find. To get around shyness, go early Saturday for an hour or two and you don't run into as many people. Saturday is a good day for the wife and husband to both be there and she will have him call you. I used to take my dog along sometimes and practice sit/stay at the end of the driveways.