Secret Site Map
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

Trying to make a name for you business in a saturated local market . Options · View
roachbug8@aol.com
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 5:14:21 PM
Groups: Member

I live in the Middle Georgia area . There seems to be a lot of pest control companies running around . I am trying to make a good creditable name for myself, but I feel so tiny among all these companies around me .
James Harrison
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 7:17:52 PM

Just put yourself out there, go visit all the businesses you can and give out a lot of cards. Make sure you leave a good impression on them and you will get some calls.

http://www.applevalleypest.com/
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 2:35:53 PM

I think what James said is a good starting point. Additionally, leverage the power of the internet if you aren't already. For starters, make sure those business cards have a link to your website and a QR code or link to your facebook page so happy customers can share their positive experience with your business. Your online presence can further your efforts to establish credibility and generate leads while you are out helping customers.

Mac Baum
Co-founder of PestyApps
mac.baum@pestyapps.com
www.pestyapps.com
ALAN RODEN
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 3:04:45 PM

That’s a good question; and it’s probably the right question to be asking.

Chances are that you don’t have the resources to out-Orkin Orkin, or Terminix, or Arrow, or whoever else is the dominant brand in your community and, from personal experience, you’d have to be financially suicidal to even try.

So, a safer strategy may be to redesign your service offering so that it’s different from what all those other companies around you are doing; so different that you stand out – being the purple cow amidst the herd of regular cows should make people pause and take notice; unless they’re all blind.

For instance, if everyone is going organic and green, buy a hearse, put skulls & crossbones all over it, and market the message that you use the most toxic chemicals allowed by law. Okay, that may be extreme, but people would take notice and you’d probably make the local news; and I’d argue that there’s a certain segment of your market that would love it and buy from you. To make a living, you don’t need to please the masses, you just need to please a tiny percentage of them; I think it’s called a niche market.

My point is that you’ll never stand out by trying to fit it – it just doesn’t work that way.
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:46:57 PM

great posts, especially the purple cow example. The best way is to create a unique selling position. The guys that talk organic or green have found a niche, however that niche is becoming very widespread.

I believe the best way to create a name for yourself is great customer service. Do the things the big guys don't. Call the night before, knock on the door and explain what you did and ask if there are any issues the customer wants addressed.

Finally the way to create a name is to market aggressively. Determine the amount of money you are willing to pay for a customer and find ways to market that will give you the return on investment your searching for. For me spending a hundred dollars to get a customer is not too much considering the customer will spend a thousand dollars over three years. Give away first month service and don't charge an initial. Offer to treat without a contract. Do the things the big names won't and you will gain market share.