Secret Site Map
Saturday, October 25, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

Odorous House Ants Options · View
James Harrison
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:15:57 PM
Groups: Member

Can anyone give me their input on the best way to get these guys gone fast? Phantom is what I use, but I just don't seem to be getting good results this year with it. Any input would be greatly appreciated! d'oh!

http://www.applevalleypest.com/
Dylan Morrison
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:38:07 PM

I use Arilon as CC inside along with Advion and Optigard bait. I also foam any wall voids with Premise that I suspect moderate activity in. Outside I use Termidor and Niban bait.

Get in the habit of flipping things over outside (splash blocks, stepping stones, yard art). Anything that retains moisture beneath will create a perfect environment for OH. Also try baiting first to draw ants and amplify foraging trails and then come back over them with a non-repellent. And of course a little IPM never hurts lol. Good luck.

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
Pest Control Charlotte NC
Aaron G.
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:44:25 AM

Inspect, inspect, inspect. If they are inside, find the access point(s) and bait with Optigard Ant Gel or Maxforce Ant Gel, usually just under the bottom edge of siding, where it meets the foundation. Look for tree branches or shrubs/bushes contacting the house. Too many times I've seen trails go up a tree trunk, across a branch and enter through the roof, without ever making contact with a barrier treatment or bait. Bait the plumbing voids under a sink if they are active around a particular sink. If they are only on the outside, follow a trail and try to find the nest. I've found nests in the roots of bushes, under pavers, in insulation in the crawl space, landscape RR ties, etc.. I usually prefer a Termidor Barrier due to it's non-repellent nature.
OHA's are super sensitive to repellents and will usually divert around it. So if they are inside they won't come back out along the same trail and spread throughout the structure. You can also use a granular bait along landscaped areas, like Advance 375-A for example.
On a few occasions I have had to do a drill & treat in active walls, with a Termidor wall void injection (use a 4 way injector tip).
I just received a new product yesterday from Syngenta, that I hope to use on my next OHA infestation and will report accordingly once I do.
The new product is "Tandem", a combo of Optigard Flex and Demand.

Aaron G.
Owner/Operator
New River Pest Control LLC
Radford, VA

http://www.facebook.com/NewRiverPestControl
www.newriverpest.com
James Harrison
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 3:44:01 PM

Cool thanks for the info guys. I have been using the Advion Ant get, but have not used the Optigard. I guess I just need to use Termidor instead of Phantom as well.

Brandon Bradshaw
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:22:26 PM

wrote:
Cool thanks for the info guys. I have been using the Advion Ant get, but have not used the Optigard. I guess I just need to use Termidor instead of Phantom as well.

Termidor will solve all your problems :-)

Brandon Bradshaw

Seattle, WA
Miles
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 11:32:25 PM

Spray Termidor in the areas where you see ants the most and also at their nest. Spray some Termidor on the boundaries of house and kitchen so that they cannot enter your house. If you want you can also take help of pest control services. It will prevent any pest to enter into your house.

IPM Services Toronto
James Harrison
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:57:41 PM

I purchased some Niban granular bait, and they were taking it pretty well. Hoping for good results this week when I follow up.

Dylan Morrison
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2013 11:26:05 PM

Miles wrote:
Spray Termidor in the areas where you see ants the most and also at their nest. Spray some Termidor on the boundaries of house and kitchen so that they cannot enter your house. If you want you can also take help of pest control services. It will prevent any pest to enter into your house.

Termidor is NOT labeled for indoors and doesn't repel ants from a structure.

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
Pest Control Charlotte NC
Aaron G.
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 1:56:00 PM

Correct it is a non-repellent which is quite helpful to keep OHA's traveling through the exterior barrier, back to an exterior nest site. Repellents can fracture a colony, trapping the indoor ants, indoors. They won't cross through it, which creates a more visible activity level inside and does not reach the main colony, that is quite likely outside.

Aaron G.
Owner/Operator
New River Pest Control LLC
Radford, VA

http://www.facebook.com/NewRiverPestControl
www.newriverpest.com