Secret Site Map
Saturday, November 01, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

Online DIY Sites...What's The Deal? Options · View
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 12:52:34 AM
Groups: Member

How do you all feel about the online sale of pesticides to non-licensed individuals?

Here in CA, the regulations are strict with pesticide use. Crack and crevice treatments around the house can produce poor results. More and more "customers" are going online themselves to purchase these products and we all know they are not following the label. I feel like we are going in a vicious cycle: 1: Put tighter restrictions on PCO's 2: More customers go online to do it themselves 3: DIYers apply way more product than needed 4: Extra product goes into storm drains 5: Tighter restrictions are put on PCO's. 6: Online demand goes up!!

Please do not go into IPM. I understand the industry is going there. I feel like the regulations being put on us are DRIVING the demand for consumers to buy their own products. You know that places like domyownpestcontrol.comm are thriving right now. This can only lead to more water pollution, misuse, and a negative impact on the environment. Is anyone lobbying against online sales? Is this legal? How do we stop it? Someone enlighten me.

Go-Pher The Kill Pest Control
Dylan Morrison
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 7:56:16 PM

It's the double dipping of the manufactures that is the problem. DIY sites are getting these products direct. It will come full circle when Johnny homeowner grossly neglects the label and someone gets hurt. Then it will be the manufacture under the microscope and we will be on the sidelines with one less weapon in our arsenal.

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
Pest Control Charlotte NC
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 4:21:33 PM

I work for Bed Bug Finders, a bed bug extermination company and I agree. I have found so many DIY sites for getting rid of bed bugs. The problem is not only are the ineffective, but they actually can be extremely dangerous, I wrote about the problems of DIY and how it doesn't work in my blog: http://www.bedbugfindersllc.com/how-do-diy-methods-of-treatment-for-bed-bugs-really-work/

MICHAEL CROSE
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:48:17 PM

Before we get her underwear and a bunch let's take a step back and analyze what's going on here.

When I started and pest control in 1972. We used a lot of very serious products such as chlordane, Aldrin, and many products with a single word of warning and even danger.

Go out and look at your chemicals now I would bet that the overwhelming majority of them if not all of them have caution labels on them.

The do-it-yourself market is here and it's not going to go away no matter what any of us say or do. There will always be people who want to try and do this job themselves and that is fine. When they give up they call a professional. Not long ago I had to try and fix my shower by myself. After spending half the day and driving myself nuts. I finally picked up the phone and dialed the plumber.

Unless you are ready for the EPA to classify all the pesticides we use as restricted use, they will be available to the general public.

Oh by the way, I have had a DIY site on the Internet for about six years, I only sell one product (roach bait) and so far the walls of Jericho have not come tumbling down.
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 11:38:30 PM

MICHAEL CROSE wrote:
Before we get her underwear and a bunch let's take a step back and analyze what's going on here.

When I started and pest control in 1972. We used a lot of very serious products such as chlordane, Aldrin, and many products with a single word of warning and even danger.

Go out and look at your chemicals now I would bet that the overwhelming majority of them if not all of them have caution labels on them.

The do-it-yourself market is here and it's not going to go away no matter what any of us say or do. There will always be people who want to try and do this job themselves and that is fine. When they give up they call a professional. Not long ago I had to try and fix my shower by myself. After spending half the day and driving myself nuts. I finally picked up the phone and dialed the plumber.

Unless you are ready for the EPA to classify all the pesticides we use as restricted use, they will be available to the general public.

Oh by the way, I have had a DIY site on the Internet for about six years, I only sell one product (roach bait) and so far the walls of Jericho have not come tumbling down.

I hear what you are saying. However, even though the products we are using have a cation label and may not be as "toxic" as products used in the past, they are still under scrutiny for ending up in water supplies. The average DIYer is not concerned with this. Their misuse will be our misfortune.

Also, these sites are turning into our direct competition. Ya, you can blow this off and say nobody can do it as well as a professional, but I don't completely agree. These companies are supplying consumers with instructional how-to videos and other information to aid in their success. The sites make it easy to find the correct product and supply so much information that the average Joe can tackle his ant and spider problems on their own. I'm sure many companies out there are making a good amount of their cash flow from regular service for the "occasional invader." These contracts help us survive in winter months. This is exactly the market these sites can take from us. Obviously there are other ways to make money. We can capitalize on IPM and the "green" movement and hundreds of other services, but that is not what I want to address.

I'm just trying to bring up an issue that I know a lot of PCO's out there are concerned with. I guess I'd rather hear from them. I don't want to dismiss a problem that can take our industry out, not because of the DIYer, but because of the impacts on the environment. Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic, but you get my point.

Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:00:23 AM

Here is a paper from the EPA that addresses the enforceability of the "For Use by Professionals" statement on certain labels of non-restricted use products. I'm not sure if there is a more recent one or not. Interesting read never the less. If anyone finds one, please share.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/regulating/labels/pdf/forusecomments.pdf

Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:27:27 PM

Selling pesticides seems like it would be a business that would carry a lot of liability along with it.? We offer pest control in Richmond and the surrounding area and our customers wouldn't want to buy product, they just need a good thorough professional service for their property.

Richmond Virginia Pest Control
Exterminating Unlimited
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:25:39 PM

Dylan Morrison wrote:
It's the double dipping of the manufactures that is the problem. DIY sites are getting these products direct. It will come full circle when Johnny homeowner grossly neglects the label and someone gets hurt. Then it will be the manufacture under the microscope and we will be on the sidelines with one less weapon in our arsenal.

this

Kilter Termite and Pest Control Orange County
Rat Exterminator Los Angeles and Orange County
Facts about Fumigation Orange County
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:30:18 PM

MICHAEL CROSE wrote:

You would be an interesting person to talk with.
1972, the chemicals you listed. I bet you have seen heard been around some stuff.

Kilter Termite and Pest Control Orange County
Rat Exterminator Los Angeles and Orange County
Facts about Fumigation Orange County