Secret Site Map
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics

Mosquito reduction fees? Options · View
Brandr
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 10:26:52 PM
Groups: Member

I am about to purchase a Stihl Blower/Mister and will be offering mosquioto reduction.

I propose to do this on a monthly basis.

How do you that do this set up your charges?

I am thinking of charging a minimal fee for my existing customers, a little bit higher (by maybe 10 dollars) for folks that are not already customers, but will let me do it monthly....and of coarse the much higher one time fee for those that only want a one time type of spray.
RONALD KEEHFUS
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:10:30 AM

There is a lot to consider. Size of the lot & the amount of bushes & trees, etc...Plus, each area will produce different rates that the local consumers will pay. Our lawns range 5,000-10,000 sq ft on an average. 6,000 sq ft being the round about number for me. I would receive a $125-$150.00 initial & the monthly ran $40-$60.00.(On new starts), the following year the service would just roll over. I do have some smaller yards, where I charged $99 on the initial & the regular service ranged $35-$38.
Brandr
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:04:13 AM

Ronald...do you use the Stihl blower/mister?
I would like to know how much finished chemical that it uses.
The tank is 3.7 gals and it looks like it shoots a pretty heavy mist. Most yards would be about 22,000 sq ft or less....somewhere between a half acre and a quarter acre.

Thanks for you input...it is appreciated.
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:31:35 AM

A customer I just recently picked up had called another local company last year. They wanted $600 every 2 weeks.
TODD BOICH
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:56:51 AM

I may be interested in offering this service as well. What would I be looking at in regards to startup costs? What pesticides are most effective to use in the mist blower?
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:55:50 PM

Todd, there is a lot to be considered. Most seem to use backpack misters, and with that there is drift concern. With drift, you need to be careful what you use, as it will end up in other places that you don't intend for it to be.

I am not saying that I am against it, only to be careful what you chose to use. I am actually launching my reduction service this year, after I take my Public Health license test.
Brandr
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:39:58 PM

JEFFEREY LEDFORD wrote:
Todd, there is a lot to be considered. Most seem to use backpack misters, and with that there is drift concern. With drift, you need to be careful what you use, as it will end up in other places that you don't intend for it to be.

I am not saying that I am against it, only to be careful what you chose to use. I am actually launching my reduction service this year, after I take my Public Health license test.

Where are you located (which state) ?
If you stick to residential, why is the Public Health license needed?

I ask because I have recieved conflicting info here in SC about this.

I haven't talked to Clemson yet...will do so Tuesday...if I can.

And yeah....lot's to be considered about drift....little garden fish ponds and bodies of water.

Brandr
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:42:55 PM

TODD BOICH wrote:
I may be interested in offering this service as well. What would I be looking at in regards to startup costs? What pesticides are most effective to use in the mist blower?

A Stihl Blower/ Mister (Stihl S R 420) is about 550 dollars.

Almost any chemical labeled for mosquitoes will do fine.
Since I already use Demand CS...it will be chemical of choice....however there is another (the name escapes me ) that is safer for bee concerns, but it only last about two weks, as opposed to nearly a month for the others....so I was told at a seminar.

RONALD KEEHFUS
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:41:47 PM

I use a silo mist blower. With the mist blower, I may use 1.5-2 gal on the size yards that I am treating. I use Cynora (It is like Demand CS) & mixed in with an IGR. Wind drift is an issue, if the wind is less than 10 mph, I am OK. Also, water areas is also a concern. The ECO products work great as well, but for me, not as long as the Demand/Cynora products.

Lic. in Va. a while back the state was in the gray for them, to let PCO's do work without the additional lic or it would help you type of deal. But, here it does fall under Public Health lic, that the city folks are required to take & renewal.

Locally the other guys here in my area that offer it...price it $55-90 per service. I do not know if any charge for an initial.

Using a mist blower VS a spray rig-less material being used.
PAUL WESTBY
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:46:19 PM

A stihl unit is 12 litres or apprx 3 gallons. Some of the larger more vegetated yards take 7 or 8 gallons while smaller ones use less than three. The average particle size from a stihl is large enough that you will not have great drift problems. Demand works great, however if you screw up and get it on your face you will regret it the rest of the day. We use face shields that you can get at Lowes. Talstar or the equivalent is a good product too, but I had callbacks when using it last year. That could possible be attributed to so much rain though
PAUL WESTBY
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:48:33 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you are going to love the Stihl. We use it to powerspray the outside on quarterlies, and it is awesome for wasp work as you can treat the eaves very efficiently with it.
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:22:55 PM

LOIS CHANDLER wrote:
JEFFEREY LEDFORD wrote:

And yeah....lot's to be considered about drift....little garden fish ponds and bodies of water.

I am in Idaho, and if I list mosquitoes specifically, I need the PH license. So if I get calls specifically for mosquitoes, I need the license, or have to fudge paperwork and say I am spraying for another pest. I am not into fudging paperwork.
Brandr
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:53:26 PM

Jeffery,
That makes sense...on the advertisement.

In my local area there is only one company that advertises that they do this type of work...and he is the only person in this area with a Public Health license.....
STEVEN NYDISH
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 7:12:54 AM

I just ordered a couple of Stihl mister/blowers they were $550.00 each.
Mickey Ferrell
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:29:00 PM

LOIS CHANDLER wrote:
JEFFEREY LEDFORD wrote:

In VA, I asked the rep from the dept of agriculture and he said if we did residential homes individually then 7a/7b was enough but if we started taking on an entire community or public land then PH was necessary.
JEFFEREY LEDFORD
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 6:55:03 PM

Things differ a lot from state to state.
Brandr
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:47:45 AM

Dogs...or other pets...what do you do with them while you are blow misting the yard....?
Some ownes won't let the dog in the house...ever.
RONALD KEEHFUS
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:21:47 PM

There is no option. I have had customers that kept there dogs outside as well. Bottom line, the animals has to be place either inside during application or placed some where else away from the house (treated areas),even then I tell them that the animals have to kept away from the treated areas for at least 2 hours in the areas that I treated for safty reasons. You have to take charge when it comes to treating the exterior & animals in general.Lay the ground rules for the homeowner so there is no misunderstanding.
Dylan Morrison
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:36:33 PM

I know this is an old thread, but there is some good info in here.

It seems several people used Demand/Cyonora for their mosquito reduction programs. What rate were you using? .2, .4 or .8 oz/gallon? Thanks

Dylan Morrison A.C.E.
City Wide Exterminating
Pest Control Charlotte NC
Miles
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:50:07 PM

If the concentration of mosquitoes is large then you would have to use this measure frequently and it will cost a little bit more, so what can be suggested is using some other measure to get rid of mosquitoes. This can be done either by using sprays or electric rackets that kills them with electric discharge whenever they come near to it.

IPM Services Toronto