Loyal installed the Sentricon Colony Elimination System at the historic Monumental Church, a building that is a National Historic Landmark on the National Register of Historic Places.
RICHMOND, Va. — The Historic Richmond Foundation of Richmond, Va., chose to have the Sentricon Colony Elimination System installed at Monumental Church. The church is a National Historic Landmark on the National Register of Historic Places.
Monumental Church was built in 1814 on Broad Street in downtown Richmond in memory of the 72 people that died on the site, including the governor of Virginia, George W. Smith. The property previously held the Richmond Theatre that caught on fire in 1811 during a theater production in which approximately 600 people were present. The remains of the bodies were placed in a crypt beneath the church.
Another reason for the church’s historical importance is that it was designed by Robert Mills, the only architectural student of Thomas Jefferson, and is an example of Greek revival architecture. It also houses a monument that was erected in memory of the people who died.
To add to its historical significance, several notable parishioners attended services there, including Chief Justice John Marshall and Edgar Allan Poe.
Having documented the historical magnitude of the property, Loyal chose to have the Sentricon Colony Elimination System installed. The system has been installed at other national landmarks such as Independence Hall, The White House and Ellis Island. Loyal Termite and Pest Control Company was the chosen company to provide the system.
After inspecting the building, Nick Lupini, president of Loyal Termite and Pest Control Company, noted that the building’s walls are made of deep courses of brick, making it difficult for traditional liquid termidicide products to penetrate and eliminate termites. Also, old termite tubes were visible on the walls, joists and subfloor throughout the crawlspace/basement, evidencing the presence of termites in the past.
The church went through a major renovation in 2004. Today, it is open for tours and is used for weddings. The installation of the Sentricon Colony Elimination System will help preserve the structure’s integrity, allowing the general public to appreciate the history that it represents for many years to come.