Pest Control and Public Health Expo Mexico 2011 — a joint endeavor carried out by pest control professionals, representatives of academia, researchers, and other industry leaders — was held in early August, in Mexico City. More than 1,000 people attended the event.
MEXICO CITY — Pest Control and Public Health Expo Mexico 2011 — a joint endeavor carried out by pest control professionals, representatives of academia, researchers, and other industry leaders — was held August 4-6, at the Centro Banamex in Mexico City. More than 950 people attended the event including visitors from Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala, Argentina, Israel and Costa Rica. (Click here to see a video from Naresh Duggal, one of the conference's speakers). Additionally, exhibitors from the U.S., Canada, China and Mexico were on hand to show of their latest technology. The symposium was divided into four blocks:
• The future of the pest control industry — vision and policy
• Regulation and innovation in Integrated Pest Management and green options
• What is the role of pest control in food safety?
• Challenges and opportunities for vector control in Latin America
With all of the global food-borne illness outbreaks, it was understandable that the most well attended session (314 attendees) was “What is the role of pest control in food safety?” The U.S. was well represented at Pest Control and Public Health Expo Mexico 2011. Speakers and topics from U.S. speakers included
• Chris Foster, president and COO of GIE Media (parent company of PCT Magazine) — “A Market Analysis of the Pest Control Industry — Present and Future”
• Jay Bruesch, technical director, Plunkett’s Pest Control, Fridley, Minn. — “Integrated Pest Management in Food Plants and Sensitive Areas” and “Green Pest Control”
•Naresh Duggal, IPM Manager. County of Santa Clara
•Derrick Lastinger, Georgia Department of Agriculture — “Recent Regulatory Actions in the U.S. Pest Control Industry”
Other speakers included distributors; wholesale representatives of pest control products; food safety practitioners; researchers; and pest control product manufacturers. Additionally, the conference provided many networking opportunities and an exhibit hall filled with the latest pest control products. Sponsors included Univar, BASF and A.M.Roma y Cia. S.A de C.V.
Below are photos from this event from Univar's Ben Gomez.