Termites Contribute to a House Fire

A fire at a suburban Seattle, Wash., home ended up having a bizarre cause, as it was traced to sawdust, created by termites, that spontaneously combusted.

August 22, 2011

LYNNWOOD, Wash. — A fire at a suburban Seattle, Wash., home ended up having a bizarre cause, as it was traced to sawdust, created by termites, that spontaneously combusted.

SCFD1 spokesperson Leslie Hynes said an investigator with the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office traced the fire to a woodpile on the south side of the house. She said termites had infested the pile, creating sawdust. That sawdust had started to decompose, creating enough heat that the sawdust eventually started to smolder, then it caught fire.

The family who lived at the home, the woman, her husband and the daughter, are staying with relatives. Hynes said they have insurance.

Click here to read the entire story.

Source: lynnwood.komonews.com

 

Related