Bed Bug Treatment Gone Awry Causes $4.5 Million Edmonton Blaze

Investigators say the fire was sparked by a propane-fuelled heater being used to exterminate an infestation of bed bugs in a fourth-floor suite.

July 19, 2011

EDMONTON  - Trying to quell an infestation of bed bugs led to the multi-million dollar fire that forced scores of people from their homes. The $4.5-million fire broke out in downtown Edmonton on July 12.

About 50 residents were not allowed back in their suites after the blaze.

Investigators say the fire was sparked by a propane-fuelled heater being used to exterminate an infestation of bed bugs in a fourth-floor suite.

The tally includes damage to a neighboring mosque and apartment building.

The investigation continues.

Source: Toronto Star
 

Related

New Bee Survey Released

May 18, 2015

Losses of managed honey bee colonies were 23.1 percent for the 2014-2015 winter but summer losses exceeded winter numbers for the first time, making annual losses for the year 42.1 percent, according... Read More