Bed Bug Firm Fined for Condo Fire

A pest control firm in Edmonton owes $10,000 after pleading guilty to starting a $3.5 million fire last summer.

September 19, 2012

EDMONTON, Canada - A pest control firm found responsible for a condo fire that caused $3.5 million in damages last summer was fined $10,000, according to CBC News.

Bed Bugs Task Force was charged under the Alberta Fire Code in connection with the fire that injured four people at the Royal Scot Condominums, the news outlet reports. The firm was using a propane heater in a suite on the top floor of the building, and an investigation revealed several code violations which likely contributed to the ignition and spread of the fire.

"The Royal Scot fire was preventable, posing needless risk to the public and emergency responders," said Russel Croome, Deputy Fire Chief of Public Safety, in a news release.

Read the full story at CBC News.

(Source: CBC News)

Related