Update: Texas Boy Dies from Fire Ant Bites

Update: Texas Boy Dies from Fire Ant Bites

A Texas middle-school student died after ant bites he received on a football field last week sent him to the hospital with a severe allergic reaction, ABC News reports.

September 18, 2013

A Texas middle-school student died after ant bites he received on a football field last week sent him to the hospital with a severe allergic reaction, ABC News reports.

Cameron Espinosa, an eighth grade student at Haas Middle School in Corpus Christi, Texas, died Sunday night after spending several days in an induced coma because of swelling in his brain, Driscoll Children's Hospital officials told KIII, an ABC affiliate in South Texas.

Espinosa, 13, had been huddled with fellow players during halftime of a game with nearby Hamlin Middle School when he began to scream, "Ants! Ants!"

A coach ran over and attempted to squirt the ants off Espinosa's legs using a water bottle shortly before the 13-year-old lost consciousness and collapsed on the field, according to a spokeswoman for the school.

Source: ABC News

 

Related

Bubba Watson's Ant Hill Argument

August 27, 2015

Despite living in underground communities, ants are not considered by the PGA Tour to be burrowing animals. That is the lesson professional golfer Bubba Watson recently learned during the recent PGA... Read More