As reported by multiple news outlets, including CBS News and CNN, four children died from phosphine poisoning believed to have been caused by a pesticide sprayed under their Amarillo home.
Amarillo Fire Department officials say other people who were in the home are “not out of the woods” yet, CBS news reported.
Fire officials say a chemical reaction occurred when one person tried to wash off a pesticide that had been sprayed under the house. Poisonous Phosphine gas was released.
Capt. Larry Davis said in a statement Monday that crews responded to a medical call at the home about 5 a.m. One child died at the scene and three others died at a hospital. Officials didn’t release any identifying information, including the children’s ages.
None of the news reports mentioned that any professional pest control company was involved in the pesticide application. This is a developing story. PCT will provide updates as additional details become available.
Sources: CBS News and CNN