In early February, it was announced that Orkin’s Paul Hardy, who most recently served as the company’s senior technical services director, would retire effective March 31, 2013. That date marks the end of a long and varied career, which began in 1961.
That got us to thinking — the world has changed a lot since the time Hardy got his start in the industry. Here’s a grab bag of fun facts, comparisons and other marginalia that interested us:
- Price of a gallon of gas in 1961: 27 cents.
- Price of a gallon of milk in 1961: 49 cents
- John F. Kennedy becomes the 35th President of the United States
- Notable births in 1961: George Clooney, Barack Obama
- Some notable radio hits, according to Billboard:
- “The Twist” by Chubby Checker
- “Blue Moon” by The Marcels
- “Tossin’ and Turnin’” by Bobby Lewis
- Construction on the Berlin Wall began in 1961. It fell in 1989, a bit more than halfway through Hardy’s career.
Photos from Hardy’s long career, from his first years with Orkin (bottom right) to his 50th anniversary luncheon (top right) with Gary Rollins, CEO, Rollins.
The PCT staff wishes Paul a happy retirement!
Download the new iPad/iPhone PCT app in the iTunes store and visit the “online extras” page on PCTonline.com to hear a podcast in which Hardy reflects on his career with Orkin.