“We conduct this consumer research every three years, as it provides us with invaluable data that helps to shape our industry’s marketing presence and really hit home the value of working with a licensed pest control professional,” said Cindy Mannes, executive director of PPMA. “The findings are also very beneficial to pest control companies and suppliers because it gives them a glimpse inside the minds of American homeowners to better understand their needs when it comes to selecting a professional and how they handle various pest problems. The results can then be used as a resource when developing individual companies’ marketing materials our tailoring outreach efforts.”
Below are some key highlights from PPMA’s 2016 Consumer Attitudes & Usage Survey:
• Almost three in five respondents (58%) have a positive view of the professional pest control industry.
• Seven in ten respondents (70%) who have a regular pest control service say they do so because it best protects their home and/or family.
• The main reason that respondents did not elect to have a contract or regular service with a professional pest control company was cost, with 49% of respondents saying it’s too expensive, and 33% saying they could deal with the problem themselves.
• Nearly nine in ten respondents (87%) want a professional pest control company to have knowledge and experience in properly identifying and treating every type of pest.
• Almost half of respondents (49%) said they are most likely to use a friend’s recommendation when looking for a professional pest control company, while two in five would use the Internet (39%) and one in five the yellow pages (19%).
• Three in five respondents (59%) are concerned about Zika.
The survey results are available exclusively to all PPMA Guardians and investors who contribute over $1,000 annually as well as Mainframe subscribers on PPMAMainframe.org. Non-subscribers or companies who are not investing in PPMA at the minimum level, can purchase a copy of the survey results for $1,000. Please contact Cindy Mannes for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regina Corso Consulting conducted the self-administered online survey on behalf of PPMA from September 1-8, 2016. A total of 2,027 interviews were conducted among adults, 25 and older, who live in the United States and who are homeowners with a household income of $60,000 or more.