Secret Site Map
Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Home News Bed Bug Treatment Gone Awry Causes $4.5 Million Edmonton Blaze

Bed Bug Treatment Gone Awry Causes $4.5 Million Edmonton Blaze

National News

Investigators say the fire was sparked by a propane-fuelled heater being used to exterminate an infestation of bed bugs in a fourth-floor suite.

| July 19, 2011

EDMONTON  - Trying to quell an infestation of bed bugs led to the multi-million dollar fire that forced scores of people from their homes. The $4.5-million fire broke out in downtown Edmonton on July 12.

About 50 residents were not allowed back in their suites after the blaze.

Investigators say the fire was sparked by a propane-fuelled heater being used to exterminate an infestation of bed bugs in a fourth-floor suite.

The tally includes damage to a neighboring mosque and apartment building.

The investigation continues.

Source: Toronto Star
 

Top news

Mosquitoes 'Smell' and 'Taste' DEET and other Repellents

Mosquitoes not only have a sense of smell for certain insect repellents, but they also have a sense of taste for these chemicals, according to scientists at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

California Movie Theater Closes Due to Bed Bug Concerns

A bed bug infestation has shut down Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas Sunday afternoon until Tuesday after concerns from customers were raised on the theater's Facebook page.

European Bee Health Levels Improve, Bayer Reports

New field data from nearly 400,000 bee colonies from 21 countries in Europe and the Mediterranean show that overwintering losses of honey bee colonies – a leading indicator of general bee health – are at their lowest level in years.

Ford Launches New Transit Van

Company brings ‘the pick-up truck of Europe’ stateside to replace its E-series platform.

Bees are No. 1 Bug Killer of Workers, Labor Department Reports

Bees were responsible for more workplace deaths (52) than spiders, wasps and ants combined, according to a new U.S. Labor Department report.