Secret Site Map
Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Home News California Man Dies from Hantavirus

California Man Dies from Hantavirus

Rodents & Mice

Disease possibly contracted from deer mouse feces in Yosemite National Park.

| August 17, 2012

A deer mouse, primary carrier of Hantavirus in the United States. Image courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

 

FRESNO, Calif. - A California tourist has died after contracting hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a rare disease carried by rodents, the Associated Press reports.

The disease could be linked to a popular lodging area in Yosemite National Park. The man stayed at Curry Village in June, and officials have reported that a woman who also stayed in a canvas tent cabin about 100 feet from him on overlapping days has become seriously ill, according to the AP.

The virus was found in the feces of deer mice in the lodging area of the cabins, according to tests by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state health officials. The deer mouse is the primary reservoir for the virus in the United States; rodents shed the virus in their urine, droppings and saliva, and it is primarily transmitted to humans when they breathe air contaminated with the virus, according to the CDC.

"There's no way to tell for sure, but state health officials feel (the victims) may have contracted it here in Curry Village," Scott Gediman, a park spokesman, told the AP.

The man, who was from Alameda County in the San Francisco Bay area, would be the first person to die from the disease contracted in the park, though two others were stricken in a more remote area in 2000 and 2010, officials told the AP.

Read more on this story at ABC News

(Source: ABC News)

 

 

Top news

Suspect Arrested in Death of Jill Su

Police have arrested Dayont'e Omar Resiles in connection with the death of Su, wife of renowned UF Entomologist Nan-Yao Su, Local 10 News reported.

Agri-Turf Distributing Names Lon Records CEO

Records is a familiar face in the industry with a career that dates back to the early 1970s.

Rodent Deterrent Believed to Have Sparked Wildfire

The four-day-old Silverado Fire, which has burned nearly 1,000 acres, was apparently ignited by the sun reflecting off metal sheeting put up by someone trying to keep rodents out of a vegetable garden, a fire official told ABC 10 San Diego.

Ed Szymanski Joins Nisus Corporation

Szymanski, a 36-year industry veteran, is area manager for the South Central and Mountain regions of the U.S.

Skyline Pest Solutions Makes Acquisition

Skyline has purchased the pest control division of Aabby Group.

x