“Our Super Garden” promotes healthy eating options.
PURCELLVILLE, VA. – Our Super Garden, a new book by PCT Editorial Contributor Anne Nagro, explores healthy eating, by eating what we grow. With kid-friendly language and eye-catching art, the book highlights the “special powers” fruits and vegetables give our bodies, like the “force field” created by vitamin C that helps keep us from getting sick, and antioxidants that “karate chop” diseases. Children learn it’s OK to try new foods and why fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet. In fact, research shows children who plant and harvest their own fruits and vegetables are more likely to eat them.
A foreword by Florida Surgeon General Dr. Ana M. Viamonte Ros explores how Our Super
Garden and gardening with children are part of the solution to the complex crises of obesity,
Type 2 diabetes, and food security facing our nation’s children. Bonus features include:
- A “cook book within the book” of 20 kid-tested garden recipes from successful youth garden programs across the country.
- Easy food preparation guidelines to help youngsters create safe, tasty meals with fruits and vegetables.
- A color-coded, kid-friendly chart of nutrients found in fruits and vegetables, the powers they give us, and good food choices for getting these nutrients working in our bodies.
- A list of fruits and vegetables by color and edible skins to help guide adult readers when “Super Veggie” asks children to name other fruit and veggie choices. A fun way to begin the dialogue on healthy food picks!
In addition, online downloads from www.GardenABCs.com include:
- Start Your Own Garden Checklist with step-by-step instructions for picking a garden site and designing your plot.
- Fruit & Veggie Super Hunt to build awareness with youngsters while at the grocery or farmer’s market.
- Additional Resources readers may find useful when teaching children how to make healthy food choices.
The soft cover book is available from www.Amazon.com at a cost of $17.95 per copy.